If you are looking for something beautiful, unique and eco-friendly in your kitchen, recycled glass countertops may be the way to go. These modern countertops can add vibrant color to your kitchen while promoting environmental sustainability. There are two basic types of countertops: cement-based and resin-based. Both types are made essentially the same way, starting with fragments of recycled glass that are then mixed with the binding material.
Things to know about cement-based recycled glass countertops:
- They need to be sealed after installation.
- They need to be resealed every 5 years to protect them from liquid absorption and staining.
Things to know about resin-based recycled glass countertops:
- They do not need to be sealed.
- They can be used outdoors.
- They are certified for commercial kitchen use.
General tips to keep your recycled glass countertops looking beautiful:
- Use low-acidity cleansers.
- Don’t let spills sit for long, especially with foods that are likely to stain.
- Don’t place hot pots and pans directly on the countertops, as it could lead to cracking.
You can choose countertops in a large variety of colors, so no matter what else you are planning for your kitchen design, you can rest assured that there is a recycled glass countertop to match. You can even choose from a variety of glass fragment sizes. Larger glass fragments can give the countertops an interesting depth. Best of all, no matter what recycled glass countertops you choose, you can feel great about knowing you are helping keep glass out of landfills. You will also be able to enjoy the durable and practical work surface they provide for years to come.