Kitchen islands can be dated back to Colonial times, when they began as a simple worktable, and they have played a central role in the American kitchen ever since. Today, the opportunity to customize your kitchen island gives you limitless possibilities and the power to create a kitchen space that is functional, beautiful and unique. You can realize your dream of having more counter space, more storage space, and extra cleaning and food prep areas. There are many different types of islands available, so you have to consider your options carefully.
Types of custom kitchen islands include:
- Working (simple design includes drawers and open shelving for storage)
- Storage (adds extra cabinet and drawer storage to your kitchen without expensive add-ons)
- Prep and Wash (includes a bar or standard size sink)
- Dining (provides an extended area for eating at either a standard or bar stool height)
- Cooking (placing the cooktop on the island allows you to entertain while cooking)
- L-shaped or T-shaped arrangements take up more room but allow separate areas for food prep, cooking and dining.
Additional items to consider adding to your custom kitchen island:
- Refrigeration unit
- Wine storage and cooling
- Appliance cubicles
- Pet station
- Baking center (area at a 30” height for easier rolling and kneading of dough)
- Open shelves (great for storing cookbooks)
Doesn’t the busiest room in your house deserve the best? In fact, a custom kitchen island can add a great deal of value to your home, and you can enjoy it for years to come. With unique materials, colors and designs, it can become the focus of your kitchen and complement the rest of your design.