Tile flooring can be a great choice for your kitchen or bathroom area. Ceramic tiles are easy to clean and are super durable; they won’t get dinged or scratched like hardwood can. If you choose tiled flooring for your home, you’ll want to know what to do for regular maintenance. Take care of your tile flooring by:
- Sweeping or vacuuming with a bare floor attachment frequently. Make sure you sweep or vacuum before you clean the tile floor with water. You’ll want to remove any dust or dirt before mopping.
- Wet mop as needed or at least once a week. Be sure to clean up colored liquids sooner rather than later to avoid stickiness or color staining in the grout.
- Avoid using super harsh chemicals (like bleach or ammonia) or harsh cleaning pads on your tile.
- You can use regular everyday cleaners on the tiles themselves, but for the grout, try a cleaning mixture of baking soda and water (mixed into a paste). Grout is very absorptive, so you want to clean it and seal it to keep your tile flooring looking great.
- Rinse the tiles with water after using any cleaner to avoid clouded tiles.
- Use floor mats in high-traffic areas or places that you stand for consistently long periods of time (like in front of the kitchen sink or bathroom mirror).