Hardwood flooring is probably one of the best investments you can make in your home. It increases your property value and also gives you a beautiful, warm, comfortable floor making your home more, well, homey! Your hardwood flooring will last you years and years, but like any other investment, you’ll want to take care of it properly.
An important part of floor care is knowing what type of floor you have. Some hardwood floors require waxing and immediate spill cleanup. For our purposes, we’ll focus on a pre-treated, sealed floor. Here’s how to care for your hardwood flooring and keep it looking new:
- Sweep regularly to clean up dust, dirt, and debris. You could also use a vacuum with a bare floor attachment. Dry spills when they occur, and always avoid standing water or liquids.
- Spot clean with a damp rag; don’t mop with large amounts of water. You may use a spray mop that doesn’t overly wet the floor if you have sealed hardwood that resists water.
- Be sure not to use wax or harsh chemicals on the floor.
- Protect your hardwood by placing pads on the bottom of furniture to prevent scratches.
- Consider using area rugs and runners in high-traffic areas to prevent damage from wear and tear.